When you’re pregnant, your body’s needs change. You are no longer eating for one. Every substance you intake affects the life of your unborn child. That’s why it’s important to start developing healthy habits early in your first trimester. That way, you’ve got plenty of time for the changes to stick and become a part of your daily routine.
Here are five healthy habits for pregnant women to follow:
- Take a prenatal vitamin. Folate is a necessity for pregnant women. It helps prevent birth defects, namely spina bifida from occurring in your child. As soon as Dr. Ahmadinia has confirmed that you’re pregnant, he’ll give you a prenatal vitamin to start taking. Make sure to read the instructions on the bottle and take it as directed for optimal use.
- Spend time outdoors among nature. Get grounded while the weather still permits you to. Go to a favorite place outdoors. Spend some time listening to the sounds of nature. Let it calm your nerves and soothe your body which is a place of creation just like the outdoor world is.
- Make it a point to move your body as much as possible. Take walks, do yoga, and swim regularly. Doing so keeps your body in shape and helps you during the delivery process. You’re strengthening muscles which assist you with delivery. If you’re not sure which types of exercises are deemed safe, ask your OBGYN for advice.
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. Get a boost of vitamins and nutrients from the produce you buy. Berries are packed full of antioxidants which help protect against free radical damage caused by the sun. Leafy green vegetables contain iron as well as plant proteins and minerals which help you and your baby get the nutrition that you need to thrive.
- Maintain a healthy pregnancy weight. Being underweight or extremely overweight increases the risk of complications while pregnant. Do your part to maintain a healthy diet. Work with your OBGYN to come up with exercises that you can do to make things easier on you and your baby during the different stages of pregnancy.
For more advice on things, you should do during your pregnancy, speak to Dr. Ahmadinia. He offers his guidance and expertise to all patients under his care. He goes the extra mile to make sure that both you and your child are healthy. Schedule an appointment with OBGYN High Desert today.