Pregnancy is an amazing time of change and growth — in more ways than one. While many women live by the motto “eating for two” during their nine months of pregnancy, it’s important to balance those cravings with healthy, nutritious choices. At Reza Ahmadinia OBGYN, we work with expectant mothers in the High Desert area in order to help them make the best nutritional choices during their pregnancy. Dr. Ahmadinia has compiled the following tips for Hesperia women who are looking to make the best meal choices while they are pregnant.
5 Tips for Balancing Your Diet While Pregnant
[checklist icon=”arrow” iconcolor=”#000000″ circle=”no”]
- Understand that eating for two doesn’t necessarily mean junking out and overeating. You may think that pregnancy cravings are a great excuse to indulge in whatever you want for the next nine months, but going overboard could be a decision that you regret. Gaining too much weight during pregnancy can lead to complications for both you and the baby, not to mention it’s that much harder to get the weight off once the baby arrives. It’s all right to indulge in the occasional late night snack session of ice cream and pickles, but make sure to balance those choices with healthy and nutritious meals the rest of the day.
- Choose foods that are packed with nutritional value, in order to make every meal and snack count. Whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy products and lean protein are all excellent choices while pregnant. Apples spread with peanut butter are a sweet and delicious snack, and grilled chicken breast is a tasty and fulfilling meal. Make the best choices for you and your baby, and you’ll be amazed at how well you feel each day.
- Don’t forget to take a prenatal vitamin. Prenatal vitamins contain essential vitamins and minerals for pregnant women. Most importantly, these vitamins contain the right amount of folic acid. Folic acid is an important vitamin that can help prevent birth defects.
- Instead of eating three large meals, opt for six small meals throughout the day. As your baby grows and your belly expands, there’s less room for your stomach. This means you will probably feel full sooner than normal. Light meals throughout the day are a great way to continually provide your baby with nutrients while also staying comfortable and full.
- Remember that you only need to eat 300 more calories each day to support and nurture your tiny baby. This means that the average woman at a healthy weight will only gain between 25 and 30 pounds throughout her pregnancy. Dr. Ahmadinia will work with each patient to determine a healthy weight goal for them.
Pregnancy is a special time in a woman’s life, where she is keenly aware of the fact that life is growing within her. Women in the High Desert area can work together with Dr. Ahmadinia to make sure they are making the best choices. A healthy diet while pregnant will help to give your baby the best start in life.