Self-care isn’t a trendy phrase that will eventually fade away. It’s a concept that encompasses caring for your entire self in a personal and meaningful way. At OBGYN High Desert, we encourage you to develop a self-care routine that includes regular gynecological examinations, exercise, a healthy diet, and plenty of sleep. Each contributes to your health and makes it so you feel like pursuing other acts of self-care each day.
Here are ten fall-themed self-care ideas for you to try:
- Brew yourself a cup of green tea. Packed full of antioxidants, it’s the type of beverage with known health benefits. Hot tea also helps relax the body. The warmth of the water raises your body temperature, which rids the muscles of tension.
- Go for a hike. Explore the Great Outdoors. Check out the different trails in your hometown. Pick one and go hiking with family, friends, and even your pets.
- Try ‘forest bathing.’ Spending time outside has a calming effect on the body. The Japanese believe in ‘forest bathing.’ It gives you a chance to disconnect from your electronic devices, cast aside your worries, and heal.
- Boost immunity by cooking yourself a nourishing soup. Cooler weather calls for warmer foods. Nourish yourself with a big pot of soup. You can easily prepare one batch and eat on it for days.
- Give yourself a breast exam at home. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It provides you with the perfect opportunity to raise awareness by doing a self-exam at home and encouraging other women to do the same. Early detection saves lives.
- Buy a new journal and start writing down your feelings. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Make journaling a daily practice. Use your journal to sort out your thoughts and to keep a written record of the important things that happen in your life.
- Do something with your hands. Knit. Crochet. Sew. Make soap. Bake. Paint. Sculpt. The choices are endless. Do something that involves slowing down and focusing on each small movement.
- Bake a healthy dessert. Research recipes and then experiment with ingredients. Go to the local farmer’s market to pick up supplies. Have your spouse or kids assist you.
- Take a long soak in the tub. Relax your tired muscles. Use scented oils and bath bombs. Light a candle and feel your cares melt away.
- Read the book you’ve been putting off reading. Get lost in another world. Spend a few minutes each day reading. It expands your horizons and helps you deal with stress productively.