At Reza Ahmadinia OBGYN, located in the Apple Valley of the High Desert area of California. Dr. Ahmadinia OB/GYN has been providing Obstetrics, Gynecology care for patients since 2001.
Dr. Ahmadinia OB/GYN takes extra special care of patients who are considered “high risk” – Preeclampsia puts pregnant women in the “high risk” category.
Preeclampsia is a potentially serious condition that only happens during pregnancy. The most common symptoms of Preeclampsia usually includes high blood pressure and often protein in the patients urine. Preeclampsia usually presents after the 20th week of your pregnancy; some women may not experience any symptoms until much later in their pregnancy.
Risk Factors for Preeclampsia
- Women who are expecting their first baby
- Women who’s mother or sister(s) had Preeclampsia during their pregnancy
- Women who are carrying twins
- A woman who had high blood pressure prior to becoming pregnant
- Obese women
Symptoms of Preeclampsia
- High Blood Pressure
- Protein in the urine
- Shortness of breath
- Upper abdominal pain
- Blurry vision/ inability to tolerate bright lights
- Nausea and vomiting
Treatments for Preeclampsia
- Dietary changes to include at least eight glasses of water a day, more protein and very limited to no salt
- Bed rest – lying on the left side will take the weight of your baby off the major blood vessels in your body
- Increased prenatal check-ups
- Hospitalization is sometimes necessary
- Blood pressure medication (if the Preeclampsia is severe)
- Early delivery may be necessary once you reach week 36 of your pregnancy (an early delivery depends on the baby’s development and your condition, the doctor will discuss the option with you and ultimately make the best decision for the health of you and your baby)
- A C-Section may be necessary to avoid labor, which can increase your blood pressure)
Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent Preeclampsia. However, Dr. Ahmadinia OB/GYN will recommend all of the treatment options listed above as well as the follow (before Preeclampsia is diagnosed.)
- Avoid caffeinated beverages, alcohol, and smoking
- Exercise daily (a few short walks a day)
- When you are sitting keep your feet elevated
- Get lots of rest
At Reza Ahmadinia OBGYN in the Apple Valley and High Desert area, we want to make sure you and your baby are well taken care of. Don’t miss any of your Obstetrics, Gynecology appointments and if you feel something is “wrong” call Dr. Ahmadinia OB/GYN office.