Did you know that when you’re pregnant, your nutritional needs change? That’s right! You’ll need to eat an extra 300 calories daily to remain healthy. Having a sound nutritional plan throughout your pregnancy is something that Dr. Reza Ahmadinia stresses during your visits to OBGYN High Desert.
Here are some things you can do to make sure you and your baby remain strong and healthy:
- Make sure to eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean sources of protein. The recommended daily servings for you include two to four servings of fruit, four or more servings of vegetables, four servings of dairy, three servings of meat, fish, eggs or nuts, and six to eleven servings of bread and grains. Sweets and fats can be consumed but sparingly.
- Look for foods with a lot of fiber in them. It prevents cramping and gas. It prevents constipation by ‘bulking up’ waste.
- Choose iron-rich foods to prepare. Spinach, beans, and lean meats are good ingredients to include in your meals. Aim for three servings or 27 mg per day.
- Drink plenty of water which helps the body flush out impurities and remove toxins. Carry a water bottle wherever you go and hydrate regularly. Add fresh fruit to the bottle for some added flavor and vitamins.
- Rest when you feel tired. Don’t keep pushing yourself to get one more thing done when what you really need is more sleep. You can always pick up on your chores or obligations wherever you’ve left off.
- Take a pre-natal vitamin to ensure you’re getting the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that you and your child need. Ask your doctor for a recommendation so you can make sure that you’re getting what your body needs to thrive during pregnancy.
Contact OBGYN Dr. Ahmadinia for more information on how to have a healthy pregnancy. The reputable doctor provides advice for his patients based on their medical history, lifestyle, and age. If you want to feel good throughout every stage of your pregnancy, make an appointment to see Dr. Ahmadinia right away.